Fertility Testing  

In order to determine any underlying causes of conception delay and to help us to identify the best course of treatment, or indeed if any treatment is required at all, it is vital that we first take a good look at your reproductive and overall health.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if I need fertility testing? 

Most people will fall pregnant within the first six months of trying.  However, if you are aged under 35 and have been trying to fall pregnant for 12 months or more OR if you are over 35 and have been trying for six months or more, and you have not yet fallen pregnant, further investigation is warranted.

Some patients (eg – single women, same-sex couples, gender reassignment) can be referred to a fertility specialist before these recommended times.

How do I prepare for fertility testing?

Fertility testing can take the form of blood tests, ultrasounds, x-rays, urine samples and semen testing.  Before you have a blood test, it is important to make sure you are well hydrated.  Some blood tests may also need you to have fasted overnight, so it is important that you make sure you are aware if this is the case.  

Your ultrasound may require having a full bladder, while others require your bladder to be empty – our nursing team will let you know which applies to you. 

Semen testing is best done when there has been between 2 and 5 days of ejaculatory abstinence. It is also important to remember that the use of normal condoms, lubricant, saliva or withdrawal must be avoided when producing your sample, as these can negatively impact on the results. 

Other fertility testing, such as HSGs or Laparoscopies have specific instructions.  You will receive specific instructions for these procedures from your doctor or from our nursing team. 

Do you offer fertility testing services for people who live outside Perth? 

The Fertility North team will facilitate as many fertility tests as possible in your local area.  Unfortuantely though, due to the specialised nature of some fertility tests, you may only be able to access them in Perth.  In this instance, you may be eligible to apply to the Patient Assistance Travel Scheme (PATS) for assistance. Please see the PATS website for more information.